Winsford Wargaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winsford Wargaming

The Winsford Wargaming Forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sath
Command Sergeant Major
sath

Male
Number of posts : 140
Race: : Human
Creature: : TF2 Medic
Army 40K: : Chaos Daemons
Army Fantasy: : Dark elves
D&D character: : Sathoon- Human cleric of St. Cuthbert
Warmachine/Hordes Army : Cryx
Legion of Everblight
Registration date : 2009-05-20

1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany Empty
PostSubject: 1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany   1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany Empty27/10/2009, 7:09 pm

Its a need to scribble down this sort of stuff. Too bad i never asked what wargear the spess mehreens were running... This week me and Alex were directing players Joe and Harry in the way of playing the game as the rules intended- for a less confusing and more enjoyable experience.
Joe is a budding Necron player but doesn't have much in the way of a large army (not yet anyway Wink ) so i let him dip into my pile of 'crons (and a large pile it was despite halving it with Zackary and his brother who's name i have no idea how to spell properly)
Harry however had 1000 of Space marines (of a certain blu variety) to work with but was missing a Librarian (so 1 of my Dark Elf Sorceress models proxied)

Joe
Necrons:
Necron Lord (war scythe, destroyer body)

10 Necron Warriors
10 Necron Warriors

3 Necron Wraiths
3 Necron Destroyers

1 Necron Monolith

harry
Space marines:
Librarian

Terminator squad

5 tactical marines
10 tactical marines (rocket launcher)

Land speeder (tornado?)

Dreadnought
Back to top Go down
sath
Command Sergeant Major
sath

Male
Number of posts : 140
Creature: : TF2 Medic
Army 40K: : Chaos Daemons
Army Fantasy: : Dark elves
D&D character: : Sathoon- Human cleric of St. Cuthbert
Warmachine/Hordes Army : Cryx
Legion of Everblight
Registration date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany   1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany Empty27/10/2009, 7:24 pm

Joe scored the first turn

Turn1:
Movement:
Pretty straight foward- the Monolith hovered its 6" towards the marine line, abusing its skimmer rule that lets it move through terrain
The destroyers hopped forward of the main Necron line to get a good view of the marines
The Wraiths and lord also hopped forward albeit to the right of the destroyers
1 squad of warriors walked after the monolith down the left flank
the other squad i don't think moved....

Shooting:
Joe's favourite part of the monolith is the partical whip triple taco crunch lol sauce attack. Which would of been out of range if we weren't cheesy and measured from the very inch of the hull near the bottom where it sticks out more (well the rules do say to measure from the hull if it doesn't have a base!) rolls to hit with the scatter. But it scatters a bit to the side and lands on 2 tactical marines from the missile launcher squad, killing both of them.
The destroyers attempted to make merry with the missile launcher squad with their Gauss cannons, rolling about 3 of the shots but only killing 1 of the marines (dern 3+ armour saves)

Assault:
On turn 1, really?

(wait a minute, doesn't the turn counter go up each time the other player does his phases??????? Gah!)
Turn 2:
Not sure why my the left half of my mind is saying "its 1 full turn per player turn!" and the right is saying "nein, its 1 full turn when both players have done their moving shooting and assault, dummkoph!" so i'm gonna go and get some toast, and maybe some boiled ham...

okay, i think i've been lulled into conducting turns the wrong way, i blame GW staff who do 'try out' games!!

The Terminators failed to strike in regardless
the Dreadnought plodded forward through the trickling river on a course for the Monolith
the Librarian's squad vaulted over the river bed to the other side, all the better to swing that force weapon...
The land speeder went flat out down the space marine's right flank, straight into the Necron deployment zone (with no way out that turn, or weapons to fire)

Shooting:
the Dreadnought wisely avoided the Monolith for its shooting and instead targeted the destroyers in the centre of the 'cron line with its multi-melta. But the shot went screaming past the destroyers into the air...

The tactical squad with the rocket launcher wished to fire at the warrior squad behind the destroyers, suceeding on their Ld test, and loosed a frag missile. Which scattered off the warriors onto the ground next to them!...

Assault:
Heck no

Turn 2(3?)
Movement:
The monolith undaunted by the dread ahead of it, lazed forward its ponderous 6"
The wraiths and lord raced forwards to try and intercept the librarian and his tactical marine squad
the warriors following the monolith edged closer to the hanging land speeder, to unload a can of rapid fire-fu
the other squad of warriors begun to advance down the middle in a 'daisy chain' formation

Shooting:
The monolith discharged its flux arcs at enemies within 12" This being the dreadnought and the land speeder. Flux arcs do D6 shots, the monolith bagged 6 shots on the dreadnought, but nothing happened! The Land speeder took a couple glancing hits from the gauss rule and took a shaken and stunned to the cranium (not even the 4+ from moving so quick could protect it)
To top things off the Monolith also tried to whip the dread again, and despite hitting it dead on (which would of been painful) and it being an ordnance weapon- the bloody thing did naff to the dread's adamantium/ceramite armour shell

The destroyers took their shots at the missile launcher equipped tactical squad and this time bagging 6/9 hits; but the marine's 3+ blocked the lot...

Both warrior squads did a bit of running, with the squad closest to the monolith clocking a nose-bleed inducing 2" closer to the land speeder, and the other squad doing a super sonic 4" closer to where all the action was soon to unfold

Assault:
Due to cheesiness, we were able to see the wraiths JUST scrape their way into close combat with the librarian's squad (and of course though the other 2 wraiths and lord couldn't normally reach they had to follow, and 'defenders react' triggered- so they ended up in combat anyway)!
A blur of speedy wraith claws flashing later only 1 marine had bit the dust, unfortunately a wraith was knocked down by an irate tactical marine.

Turn sandvich:
Movement:
The dread threw itself on top of the hill just in front of the monolith, no doubt itching to start trying to punch the Monolith's armoured shell in

Shooting:
The missile launcher tactical squad fired a krak missile at the monolith, but the shot proved impotent...

Assault:
minus 1 wraith for the time being, the other 2 wraiths tried their best, they really did but their surgical gear couldn't get through the soft points on the marine's power armour
The Lord on the other hand was able to shear right through 1 unlucky marine (war scythe ftw)

Far as i know the game had to end for Harry, he was forced to initiate a tactical withdrawal, leaving the game at a what i'd think a stalemate.
Then again the purpose of this exercise was to orient Joe in proper warhammer 40kese, which may i add he picked up on the routine of looking at the 'to hit' charts respectively for shooting and in melee, as well as the 'to wound'' table etc etc fairly quickly- better games are conducted with the rules enforced to an acceptable standard farao

I'll also add that Joe gods allowing will remember cash to lighten my burden of Necrons, making him the owner of a pretty large force (though realizing it ain't gonna get him any good at painting models, but assuming the Necrons he already has; in their rusted colours were done by him- I'd say he's fine at painting)

And to Jordan: Yes EvE Online: its graphics are beast, its got a monstrous learning curve cliff that deflects the World Of Warcraft kiddie chaff (also has spikes at the bottom and crawly things biting your hands at the top), starts off slow and takes commitment to get the good stuff, and its got plenty of players who will pop your expensive ship if given half the chance, but if you can carve a path through all of it, its a good play.

Next week if i can crush my daemons into my overburdened case, i'll do my best to enjoy sending Mark's new Space wolves flying backwards into the underbrush, horrific psychic power that seems like a cross between the Eldar's wraith cannon and the Chaos Boon of Mutation power in terms of destructive power (which giggles long and hard at Tau and Necron armies' low Initiative) aside pirat
Back to top Go down
alexsmith
Supreme Kommandant
alexsmith

Male
Number of posts : 113
Creature: : Teh Official Noob Pwnr
Army 40K: : Oh so gay but either Eldar or Tau
Army Fantasy: : Too many to list
D&D character: : Hiro something or other
Warmachine/Hordes Army : Khador/Skorne
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany   1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany Empty28/10/2009, 3:48 am

Good write up Steve!

I'm really keen for all the members of the club to start using the rules properly.

It is important for our younger members to know how to play a "proper" game.
Back to top Go down
https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v300/alexsmith175/
Neal Orange peel
Purveyor off all things blue
Neal Orange peel

Number of posts : 249
Creature: : centaur
Army 40K: : dark eldar + imperial guard
Army Fantasy: : vampire counts
D&D character: : Barbarian - REGDAR
Warmachine/Hordes Army : Menoth
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany   1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany Empty31/12/2009, 2:39 am

second that Alex. if they dont use the rules, pistil whip 'em
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany   1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany Empty

Back to top Go down

1000 Necrons Vs Space Marines, and an epiphany
Page 1 of 1